There are many places you can go to learn more about field recording or share opinions and experiences. We list a few here, which should be more than enough to get you started with building your own community! As time goes on, we’ll add to the list.
- Jez riley French has an extensive quick guide to ‘hand held’ recorders, and he moderates the FB group: a quiet position. You can search the feed there for discussions on many gear questions.
- Creative Field Recording hosts a large community and contains a comprehensive list of blogs. Here they talk to Colin Hunter about gear.
- Here’s a MusicTech article about Chris Watson‘s gear of choice and a selection of BBC Radio 4 programs and soundscapes featuring him.
In this CDM article from 2015, LOM microphones are showcased, including the Elektrosluch, an “instrument” designed to capture electro-magnetic interference with precision. Here is a curated collection of raw electromagnetic field recordings: V.A. – Sensing Electromagnetics.
AndroidAuthority offers their opinions on the 10 best voice recorder apps for Android, and this MakeUseOf article provides 5 Great Tips For Recording Audio With Any Smartphone Or Tablet.
This is the gear Sharon is using at the moment:
- TASCAM DR-680 with Sennheiser HD 25 headphones
- DPA d:screet SMK-SC4060 omni pair w/ Rycote furries
- Telinga Universal Parabolic Dish MK2
- (old audio-technica ATR 25 stereo microphone to try out with phone recordings)
- Sennheiser MKH 8040 (cardiod)
- JrF contact mics with 2 Lo-Z to Hi-Z transformers
- JrF hydrophones, standard and d-series
- ZOOM H4n
- Sachtler bag
- Cat furry